Intro

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

-Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Eschatological Bedtime Stories

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. Music stuff with Einstein & Oppenheimer.

Comments &c are more than welcome.

Friends,
I pray this podcast finds you and finds you well. I woke up at 0230 GMT-5 and gave up on trying to sleep, and recorded this very cast. There seems to be a thematic anchor of cinema, but my inspiration was drawn from an idea and experience of being a child and believing the world was to end imminently. "We can drink the water from the toilet reservoir, but not the bowl," and "We can cover the windows with telephone books (as if we had them)," are phrases I remember. Anyway, there is beauty in learning to love the bomb. As June has ended in my 33rd year, and I, at the mercy and grace of the Universe go on to live now, I think back on the certainty that I would never see these days. "I'm not going to be alive when I would be thirty." I said. I was so sure. It was my lot. And I was wrong. It's good to be wrong. I'm wrong at least once a day.

Two days before the Trinity test, Oppenheimer expressed his hopes and fears in a quotation from the Bhagavad Gita:
In battle, in the forest, at the precipice in the mountains,On the dark great sea, in the midst of javelins and arrows,In sleep, in confusion, in the depths of shame,The good deeds a man has done before defend him. ***


Bonne Ecoute,

Track,Name,Artist,Album,Time (Seconds)
0,Brazil - Geoff Muldaur,Michael Kamen,Brazil,206
1,Miracles,Bobby Johnston,Wristcutters: A Love Story,16
2,E=mc²- Einstein explains his famous theory,Einstein,None,58
3,Smoke and Mirrors,The Magnetic Fields,Get Lost,188
4,Lament,Sonny Lester, His Orchestra & Chorus,Take It Off! Striptease Classics,185
5,House of the Rising Sun,The Animals,The Singles Plus,270
6,Velvety Instrumental Version,Pixies,Complete B Sides,124
7,Occurrence on the Border (Hopping on a Pogo-Gypsy Stick),Gogol Bordello,Wristcutters: A Love Story,206
8,Collapsing Stars,The Mountain Goats,Dilaudid,149
9,Withnail and I - Hamlet Soliloquy,Richard E Grant,None,105
10,Three Changes,The Good, The Bad & The Queen,The Good, The Bad & The Queen,257
11,Clap Your Hands,Pale Young Gentlemen,Pale Young Gentlemen,179
12,Clap Your Hands!,Clap Your Hands Say Yeah,Clap Your Hands Say Yeah,108
13,The Card Cheat,The Clash,London Calling,229
14,Ledmonton,Clues,Clues,262
15,Sunflower,Nicolas Jaar,Space Is Only Noise,48
16,Trinity Oppenheimer,Oppenheimer,None,99
17,I'm on Fire (Bruce Springsteen cover),Chromatics,In The City 12",198
18,We Built Another World,Wolf Parade,Wolf Parade,203
0,Brazil - Geoff Muldaur,Michael Kamen,Brazil,206
19,100,000 Fireflies,The Magnetic Fields,The Wayward Bus / Distant Plastic Trees,200

Lyrics are in podcast.  Alternative solution forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment